Oil – 4 TBSP
Onion – 1
Garlic Cloves – 12
Red or Orange Bell Pepper – 1
Cumin – 1 T
Chilli Powder – 2 tsp
Salsa – 3 cups
Vegetable Stock – 8 cups
Maple Syrup – 3 TBSP
Black Beans, soaked & cooked – 4 cups
Whole Kernel Corn – 4 cups
Tortilla Chips (recommended)
1. If not using canned, soak the black beans the night before. Cook them early in the day so that they are soft by the time you add them to the soup.
2. Heat a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add oil, garlic, onion, pepper, and a pinch each of salt and pepper and stir. Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are translucent and the peppers have a bit of color.
3. Add cumin and chilli powder and stir to coat. Then add salsa, vegetable stock and maple syrup. Stir to combine, then increase heat to medium heat and bring to a low boil.
4. Once it’s boiling, add black beans and corn and stir. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or more, stirring occasionally. The longer it simmers, the more the flavor will develop. It’s even better the next day.
5. Serve as is or with recommended serving options above.