This ever-popular dessert is a great way to use up over-ripe bananas. It’s also easy to put together and modify depending upon what ingredients you have on hand. Additional fruits or nuts can be added for delicious variations. Below is the basic recipe, from which you can branch out and explore.
- 1 dozen (very) ripe bananas
- 1 1/3 cup almonds
- 2 cups oats
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup walnuts
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
Gluten Free Version:
- sub 1 cup coconut flour for flour
- sub 1 3/4 cup shredded coconut for oats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray or butter 13″x9″ baking dish
- Slice bananas 1″ or less to cover bottom of dish
- Using a food processor, roughly pulse the almonds and walnuts until broken up (but not too much)
- Combine all the ingredients (except bananas) in a mixing bowl. Mix well by hand.
- Cover bananas with newly mixed crumble, gently salt the top before placing in preheated oven.
- Bake low and slow for 15-30 minutes. Top will golden brown and the bottom should be bubbling. If making the gluten free version be extra careful as the coconut has a tendency to burn easily.
Serve with dollop of yogurt.
Recipe courtesy of Carra Simpson.