- 4T butter
- 2 onion, chopped
- 4 carrot, diced
- 1 head of celery, chopped
- 4 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3 cups mushroom, sliced
- 2 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
2.5 cups dried green or brown lentil
1/3 cup red wine (optional)
- 1.7 quarts vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp tomato purée
For the topping
- To make the sauce, heat the butter in a pan, then gently fry the onions, carrots, celery and garlic for 15 mins until soft and golden. Turn up the heat, add the mushrooms, then cook for 4 mins more. Stir in the herbs, then add the lentils. Pour over the wine and stock – it’s important that you do not season with salt at this stage. Simmer for 40-50 mins until the lentils are very soft. Now season to taste, take off heat, then stir in the tomato purée.
- While the lentils are cooking, tip the potatoes into a pan of water, then boil for about 15 mins until tender. Drain well, mash with the butter and milk, then season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble the pies, divide the lentil mixture between all the dishes that you are using, then top with mash. Scatter over the cheese and freeze for up to two months (see tips, below) or if eating that day, heat oven to 350F, then bake for 30 mins until the topping is golden.
Original Recipe from BBCgoodfood.com Serves 10