- Dried green split peas – 4 cups
- Onion, med, diced – 2
- Yams (med), cut into ¼ inch cubes – 3
- Celery, chopped, including leaves – 1 bunch
- Olive oil -¼ cup
- Garlic cloves, minced – 5
- Basil, dried – 2 T
- Molasses – 1/3 cup
- Spinach (frozen chopped) – 1 lb
- Salt, to taste
A) Take frozen spinach out of the freezer to begin defrosting.
B) Wash split peas and drain.
- Place split peas in a pot and add enough water to cover them by about 2 inches. Add onions, yams, celery, and olive oil and bring to a boil. (This is a thick split pea soup, so don’t start with too much water to begin with. If it is too thick at the end, you can then add water.)
- Reduce heat and cover, simmering until the split peas begin to soften or break up.
- Add the garlic and basil. Bring again to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until split peas are soft. Add the molasses and spinach.
- Salt to taste, and adjust spices as needed.
Serves 15. Original recipe from 'Follow Your Heart'