- Dried green or brown lentils – 3 c
- Bay leaves – 3
- Onions, diced – 2
- Garlic cloves, chopped – 4
- Tomatoes, chopped (6 lb 6 oz can) – ½ can
- Zucchini, chopped – 5
- Oregano, dried – 1 T
- Basil, dried – 1 T
- Italian Spice – 1 ½ T
- Red wine vinegar – 3 T
- Onion powder – 3 T
- Tomato paste (29 oz can) – 1 can
- Balsamic vinegar – 4 tsp
- Salt – 4 tsp
- Black pepper – 1 tsp
*Alternate veggies: carrots, potatoes
Garnish – Shredded Parmesan
*prep work: Wash lentils until the rinse water runs clear.
- Place the lentils in a pot. Pour in just enough water to cover, add the bay leaves, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer, stirring occasionally for 30 – 45 minutes, or until the lentils are soft. Add water as needed.
- While lentils cook, heat some oil and saute the onions and garlic for 5 – 10 minutes, or until the onions are golden. Stir in the tomatoes, zucchini if using, oregano, basil, wine vinegar, Italian seasoning, and onion powder and saute for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- When the lentils are nearly soft, add the salt and reserved tomato mixture. Stir in the tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, and black pepper and simmer for 15 – 20 minutes. Remove the bay leaves and serve.