- Blackbeans (dry) – 4c.
- Onion (med), diced – 3
- Celery stalks, sliced – ½ bunch
- Carrots, quartered lengthwise then sliced – 3
- Yams (med), cut into ¼ inch cubes – 4
- Cumin – 1 ½ T
- Coriander – 2 tsp
- Garlic cloves, minced – 6
- Molasses – 3 T
- Apple cider vinegar – 1 ½ tsp
- Orange Juice concentrate (12oz can) – ½ can
- Salt, to taste 1 T
Garnish: Cilantro and Sour Cream
*prep work: Wash and soak beans in water overnight. Drain, and wash until foam stops.
- Place beans in a pot and add enough water to cover them by about 3 inches and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cover, simmering about 30 minutes or until beans are slightly tender.
- Add onions, celery, and carrots, and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Add yams, cumin, coriander, and garlic, and simmer until yams are barely tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add the molasses, vinegar, and orange juice, and heat at low setting, stirring often.
- Salt to taste, and adjust spices as needed.
Put out cilantro and sour cream in bowls for garnish.
Serves 15. Original recipe from Follow Your Heart.