- Blackbeans (dry) 1/3 c
- Pinto beans 1/3 c
- Kidney beans 1/3 c
- Canola oil 1 T (or enough to barely cover bottom of pot)
- Onion (med), diced 1
- Garlic cloves, minced 2
- Cumin 1 ½ tsp
- Chili powder 1 T
- Brown sugar 1 ¼ T
- Diced Tomatoes (14.5 oz can), 1 ½ cans
- Tomato paste (10 or 12 oz. can) – 1 can
- Oregano 1 ½ tsp
- Marjoram 2 tsp
- Allspice 1 tsp
- Salt, to taste
Garnish: Sour cream, cheddar cheese & cilantro
Wash and soak beans in water overnight. Drain, and wash until foam stops.
- Place beans in a pot and add enough water to cover them by about 2 inches and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cover, simmering about ½ hour. Do not overcook.
- In a large pot, heat the oil and saute the onions and the garlic for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sautee for 2 minutes. Add cumin, chili powder, oregano, marjoram and allspice and sautee for one more minute. Add sugar, diced tomatoes and tomato paste and stir thoroughly Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Drain the beans of most of the liquid, and add the beans to the pot with the onion mixture. (Save some of the drained liquid in case you need to add more of the liquid later).
- Salt to taste, and adjust spices as needed.
- Cook another 45 minutes or until beans are tender. Use a stack of flame tamers to keep it from scorching.
- Put out sour cream, cheddar cheese and cilantro in bowls for garnish.