- Shiitake mushrooms (dried) ½ cup
- Garlic, minced – 1 T
- Onions, sliced – 1
- Carrots, sliced – 6
- Zucchini, sliced – 6
- Any color bell peppers – 6
- Napa cabbage, chopped – 1 sm head
- Coconut milk, sm. cans – 5
- Vegetarian curry paste – 3 T
- Tamari – ¼ cup
- Brown sugar – ¼ cup
- Lime juice – ¼ cup
- Chopped fresh cilantro – 1 bunch
- Water – 8 cups
- **Tofu, cut in cubes – 3 blocks
Garnish: Sliced scallions or roasted peanuts.
A. Soak the shiitake mushrooms in boiling water for at least 20 – 30 minutes. Once they’re soft, remove and discard stems and slice the caps into small strips (if they are not pre-sliced). Keep the liquid.
B. Rinse, drain, and cube the (optional) tofu, if using.
- In a large pan, sauté the onion in oil for 4-5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the carrots, garlic, zucchini, and bell pepper and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cabbage and continue to cook until the veggies are fork tender, 5-6 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, about 14 cups water, tamari, lime juice, brown sugar, curry paste and tofu. Simmer to blend the flavors.
- Adjust the seasonings. Stir in cilantro just before serving.
- Optional: Put out scallions and/or roasted peanuts in bowl for garnish.
Serves 15 - Thanks to Roslyn Riley for the recipe.