- Onion, small, diced- 1
- Garlic – 1 tsp
- Ginger, avg sized branch – 1/4
- Powdered ginger – 1 tsp
- Turmeric – 1 tsp
- Cumin, ground – 1 tsp
- Coriander, ground – 1 tsp
- Yellow/vegetarian curry paste – 2 tsp
- Coconut milk (sm. Cans) – 1
- Tamari – 1.25 T
- Brown sugar – 2 tsp
- Lime juice – 2T
- Carrots, sliced – 3
- Red bell pepper, ¾” pieces – 1
- Yams, ¾ inch cubes – 2
- Tofu, drained, pressed, – 1 blocks
- Cilantro, fresh or frozen, roughly chopped – 1 bunch
- Lemon Grass, optional
- Salt, to taste
Garnish: Crushed roasted peanuts or cashews
Begin with the pot to which you’re going to add all the ingredients.
- Heat a little oil in the bottom of the pot. Saute the onions until they start to soften. Add ginger, powdered ginger, garlic, turmeric, cumin, coriander and sauté 2 minutes more.
- Add the curry paste and stir until fragrant, about 1 -2 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, carrots and yams. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until carrots are tender. Add bell peppers and tofu, stir in and turn off heat until nearly time to serve.
- Turn on heat 10-15 minutes before serving. Add fresh (or frozen) cilantro, tamari, brown sugar and lime juice in last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Add salt to taste.
- Put out crushed roasted peanuts for garnish.
NOTE: Do not cook this dish too early. The coconut milk separates if cooked for too long, and the flavor and textural qualities are better if the dish is fresher.